Glasswool Insulation R Value
R-value is a measure of thermal resistance, measuring the heat transfer through a material per unit of area. This measure is used widely in the construction trades, both residential and commercial.
The r-value of glasswool insulation and mineral wool insulation varies widely. It really depends on what form the wool is in.
Press or formed rolls and sheets will have a different thermal resistance than loose fill type insulation. Blown glasswool insulation r value is approximately R-3.1 to R-4.0.
Glasswool R Values in Practice
In general, you can increase the r-value of a given wall by increasing the thickness or density of the insulator. For a simple example, if you were to triple the thickness of fiberglass batting in a wall cavity, the r-value would also triple.
However, if you were to forcibly press two layers of insulation into the thickness of one, you will get more r-value but most likely not a double r-value because it is improperly installed.
The r-value published by manufacturers applies strictly to insulation that is installed in a proper fashion.
Finishing off a wall with paneling or sheet rock does not provide a substantial additional r-value.
R values are usually given without their units, so it can be confusing what a value of “R-4.0” refers to. In most places in the world, the r value is given in international system of units (SI), while in the United States it is more common to use traditional US units.
The trick to remember is US r-values are around 6 times larger in magnitude than SI r-values. If you have an understanding of that you can quickly decipher what units you are dealing with.
SI units: m²•K/W US units: ft²•°F•h/Btu.
- Glass Wool Advantage 2020-05-23 267
- Block noise and make online courses more efficient 2020-05-23 255
- World Earth Day 2020-05-23 260
- Experience in returning to work 2020-05-23 263
- International family day 2020-05-23 251
- What type of insulation is fireproof? 2020-05-29 235
- Insulation advantage of glass wool 2020-06-02 248
- World Environment Day 2020-06-08 233
- How to reduce the occurrence of fire 2020-06-24 246
- Happy New Year 2021-01-04 275
- Merry Christmas 2020-12-29 258
- External wall insulation system 2020-12-21 281
- System characteristics and technical performance of steel structure roof insulation layer 2020-12-14 97
- The basic method of building insulation layer of steel structure roof 2020-12-07 99
- How to build steel roof insulation 2020-11-30 93
- 二.Precautions for using glass wool board 2020-11-23 96
- 一.Precautions for using glass wool board 2020-11-16 106
- External wall insulation material 2020-11-09 103
- External wall insulation material advantage 2020-11-02 103
- 二．Types of external wall insulation materials 2020-10-26 103